It's not easy coming up with a snappy, ironic title about employee benefits for government workers. So in the spirit of government service, we're not really going to try. Instead, we're going to let this episode's topic speak for itself.
Kevin Lozer, CFP(R) of ClearLogic Financial in Reston, VA joins Roger and Ben to talk about the workplace benefits and planning opportunities for federal government employees. In this episode, we cover:
- The Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS), including differences between the two, benefit calculations, and survivor benefits.
- The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP; the federal government's version of the 401(k)), including investment options, the awesome power of the G Fund investment option, and the quirky rules around withdrawals.
- The myriad of health plan options available to government workers
- The interplay between Medicare Part B and the Federal Employees Health Benefit program for retirees
- Long Term Care Insurance and Life Insurance benefits for retirees
The package of benefits is so good that we've both decided to sign up and become a forest rangers.