The ability to communicate clearly and effectively in client letters, emails, blog posts, newsletters and even Twitter is critical to a financial advisors' success, particularly when you are trying to encourage a prospect or client to take and act on your advice. This episode is full of actionable takeaways:
- What persuasive writing is, and what it very much isn't.
- How to become a better writer
- The golden rules of sentence construction, and why embedded clauses, semi-colons and commas can stop readers in their tracks
- The importance of avoiding the "nominalization" of verbs. You'll have to listen to learn what this means. It blew my mind.
- Common myths and misconceptions about writing. Starting a sentence with the word "and"? Splitting infinitives? Prepositions at the end of sentences? All cool. (But passive voice is still bad.)
- Tips on creating and maintaining a firm-wide writing voice.