Yes, a podcast episode about PowerPoint. There's a decent chance you dislike PowerPoint and everything it represents, but the truth is that PowerPoint is here to stay. We'd might as well study how to use it effectively.
This is an episode we've wanted to do for quite a while now, so we're excited about it. Be sure to listen to the bonus section at the end, in which Roger describes his first memory of a PowerPoint slide. The story involves the Nobel prize, an unexpected pregnancy, and the homecoming queen.
Following are links to some of the things we talked about:
- Kurt Vonnegut video on the shape of stories
- Five ways to reduce PowerPoint overload - Atkinson, Mayer
- Minard's map of Napoleon's invasion of Russia
- William Playfair's Wikipedia entry - He invented bar and pie charts!
- Buckminsterfullerene's Wikipedia entry - The relevancy of this topic is revealed in the last 8 minutes of the episode.